Grosse Pointe has a varied and vibrant history. The Native Americans who first tamed the wilderness, the French and British settlers amazed at the area's natural resources and the wealthy auto barons who built their magnificent estates along the beautiful lakeshore all helped create our history.
The Society was founded 60 years ago to celebrate this rich heritage and preserve it for generations to come. We believe that history is an invaluable part of our lives, connecting us to our past and providing us with insight about who we are today.
The Society sponsors programs that bring history to life. We also manage facilities that preserve and protect important artifacts from the past.
We invite you to become a member of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society today. Your membership supports our effort to make the history of the Grosse Pointes relevant, vital, and accessible through:
- Preservation projects
- Educational programs for all ages
- Historic plaques
- Monthly events
As a member, you will enjoy the following benefits
- The Society's quarterly newsletter, The Moorings
- Use of The Ruth S. and Alfred B. Moran Resource Center
- Early notification of Society programs
- Special invitations to Society events
- The opportunity to participate in research projects
- The opportunity to participate in volunteer programs
- You can apply to rent the 1823 Provencal-Weir House
for your event. Member Rental Information
- New members, (Friend classification and above), receive the DVD - Recollections of the Past (Grosse Pointe 1650-1900) and The Past as Prologue (20th Century Grosse Pointe)
To become a member of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society and help us enrich our community, print and send us the membership form or call (313) 884-7010.
Download a Printable Membership Form
Please make your check payable to the Grosse Pointe Historical Society and send it to:
Grosse Pointe Historical Society, 381 Kercheval, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236
Thank you for your support! MICS 12443-0689 All but $8.00 of your membership dues is tax deductible in accordance with state and federal laws. The $8.00 covers the subscription price of The Moorings.