Next to the Moran cottage is the summer residence of James Nall, a prominent merchant. Mr. Nall's family, though recent comers, seem to have imbibed the usual Grosse Pointe enthusiasm. Mr. Nall was born in England but came to this country at an early age. He married Isabella Beard, and their children are Frank C., Edwin B., Mary W., and Louis A.
The next residence to come under consideration, known as "Willow Bank," is that of George Hendrie, already mentioned in these pages. The shrewdness and tact for which the Scotch race is noted, are illustrated in Mr. Hendrie, and he has been wonderfully successful in his street railway and transportation enterprises. He married Miss Sarah Trowbridge, daughter of the late Charles C. Trowbridge, one of Detroit’s most eminent citizens. The names of their children are Strathearn, Kathleen Trowbridge, Jessie Strathearn, George Trowbridge, Sarah Whipple, and twins, William and Margaret.
Next beyond is the old Geo. Moran homestead, now owned and occupied by James Moran.
We have now reached "Summerside," the residence of George V. N. Lothrop, at present United States Minister at St. Petersburg, Russia. Rare specimens of old trees, and orchards of the finest fruits adorn the grounds, which gracefully slope toward the road. Mr. Lothrop was impressed with the beauty of the Pointe soon after his arrival in Detroit, and purchased 130 acres there in 1850. The same year he constructed the present residence, and with his family spent each successive summer here until last year when, as he writes, "with many sighs and regrets, I exchanged Grosse Pointe for a sojourn on the banks of the Neva." His intimate friend, Edmund A. Brush, had located here shortly before him, and, for several years, they were the only colonists. Both raised large families, and lived in rural simplicity compared with present-day customs. Whether an approach to fashionable life has brought increased pleasure to the colonists at the Pointe, the older residents much do question. If a well spent life entitles any man to enjoyment and peace in his later years, it is certainly due to the owner of "Summerside." The appointment to the public office he fills, and which, to the regret of all who knew him, took him away from Detroit, was both unsolicited an unexpected by Mr. Lothrop, and the legislature of Michigan, without reference to the political creed of its members, passed a unanimous vote of congratulation to the President on the fitness of his selection for the position of Minister to Russia.
Mr. Lothrop was born in Connecticut, and graduated at Brown University in 1838, at the age of twenty, Dr. Francis Wayland, the eminent writer on moral science and political economy, being at that time President. Mr. Lothrop subsequently attended the Harvard Law school, then in charge of Judge Story and Professor Greenleaf. In 1839, he came west to recuperate his health, and, for a time, assisted his brother, Edwin H. Lothrop, in the management of his extensive farm in Kalamazoo county. While there he imbibed a fondness for agricultural pursuits that has never deserted him, as all are convinced who have frequently seen him snatching a day from office cares in order to tickle the arable Grosse Pointe soil with the plow.
In 1843, Mr. Lothrop resumed the study of law in the office of James F. Joy, and in 1844 he began practice in partnership with D. Bethune Duffield. Of late years Mr. Lothrop's sons have been his associates in law practice. Mr. Lothrop married Almira Strong, daughter of Oliver Strong. Their son Charles Bradley Lothrop, married Isabella Graham Bethune Stewart, daughter of Dr. Morse Stewart, and they have a son named G. V. N. Lothrop. The second son, George Howard Lothrop, married Frances Owen, daughter of John Owen; they have a daughter named Margaret. The other children of Mr. Lothrop are Henry Brown, Annie Strong, Cyrus Edwin, and Helen Ames.