The Jewett Family
Harry Jewett, ran Paige Motors in Detroit. The company built the Jewett car from 1923 to 1926. It had a big in-line six-cylinder engine which made it popular out west where it was able to climb mountains. Fewer than 40,000 were built during Jewett Motor Co.'s four years of production. The subsidiary of Paige-Detroit was folded in 1926 and the car became a model of the Paige-Detroit without the Jewett name on it.
Harry Jewett made a fortune in mining around the turn of the century and decided to try the same in the then infant auto industry. He acquired a car designed by Andrew Bachle which was being promoted by Fred O. Paige.
Since Jewett didn't know much about autos, he installed Paige as president of his newly formed Paige-Detroit Motor Car Co. In 1909. In 1910, having learned a bit about cars, he decided that the Paige was "a piece of junk" and fired Paige, took over himself and hired a new engineering department to design a new car. The new car was a vast improvement on the older one and Paige sales gradually picked up. The first six-cylinder Paige appeared in 1915.
The Paige gained a reputation for graceful styling and good performance. A smaller companion car was introduced in 1922, named after the president and founder, Harry Jewett. In 1927, Jewett decided he had had enough of the auto business and sold the company to the Graham brothers, Joseph B., Robert C., and Ray A., who reorganized it as Graham-Paige Motors Corp.
(Source: Detroit News Monday, July 27, 1998, By Jenny King)